Post Care for IPL / SHR Treatments
Post-IPL Treatment – Hair Removal Protocol
- A mild sunburn-like sensation is anticipated. This usually resolves within 2-3 hours of treatment but may persist for up to 2 days.
- Application of chilled aloe vera gel or an ice pack every hour for 5 to10 minutes may be soothing to the skin. Continue until symptoms subside.
- Avoid sun exposure to treated areas. Apply a sun block with SPF 30 or greater daily to sun-exposed, treated areas between treatments, and for 4-6 weeks after final treatment.
- Bathe or shower as usual. Treated areas may be temperature sensitive. Avoid use of strongly scented lotions or soaps, prescription strength exfoliant creams, loofah sponges, and aggressive scrubbing to treated areas during healing phase.
- Allow any blistered or open areas to heal spontaneously. If healing is delayed, a thin coating of antibiotic ointment may be advised. Do not pick at these areas. Picking may result in infection or scarring. Allow any crusting to heal spontaneously, crusting will resolve in 3 to 14 days. Application of antibiotic ointment is not recommended for crusting.
- Appearance of “stubble” may appear in 1 to 4 weeks. This is not hair re-growth. It is the remnant of treated hairs being expelled from the IPL-damaged follicle. Allow this hair to fall out of the skin on its own, or by gently washing with a warm, wet washcloth. Do not pluck or tweeze. You may shave during this period.
- Best results are obtained on clients who have follow up treatment immediately after hair starts to grow. Your clinician will advise you when you should schedule your next appointment. It is important to adhere to this regime.
- Contact the salon if any pain, redness, burning is still present after 24 hours
** PROTECT, PROTECT, PROTECT your skin from UV damage in ALL seasons by wearing SPF and/or Jane Iredale powder and a hat and avoid excess sun exposure.